Last year, the government announced new regulations for the private rental sector regarding electrical safety in rental properties. The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 ensured that all new tenancies from July 2020 had an Electrical Installation Condition Report in place. However, as of April 1st, 2021, this law extends to all tenancies both new and existing.
The report must be carried out by a registered Electrician, you can use the search feature on Electrical Safety First's website to find one in your area. As a Letting Agent in Liverpool, Wirral and Southport, we work closely with some of the region's most reputable Labourers and ensure that all of our clients are ready for Thursday, April 1st when the regulations come into place.
1. Record the results of the inspection and testing to make sure the electrical installation is safe to be used until the next inspection (following any work needed to make it safe)
2. Find any damage and wear and tear that might affect safety, and report it
3. Find any parts of the electrical installation that do not meet the IET Wiring Regulations
4. Help find anything that may cause electric shocks and high temperatures
5. Provide an important record of the installation at the time of the inspection, and for inspection testing in the future.
Regardless of whether your property is managed by an external company or not, it is still your responsibility to organise for a registered Electrician to undertake the testing of the electrics. Once complete, the Electrician will provide you with the report, which must also be shared with your Tenants. A new report should be organised every five years or on change of tenancy.